Since childhood Karthik Bhat has been a passionate student of Tabla. He started his sojourn at the age of 10, at Kallur Mahalaxmi Tabla Vidyalaya, Bengaluru, under the tutelage of Pt. Rajgopal Kallurkar.
Further, he continued his training under the guidance of Pt. Arvind Mulgaonkar at Bombay. His interest in Carnatic concepts paved the way to learn the most intricate and complex calculations under the guidance of Mrudangam Vidwan A. V. Anand.
Today, he is a competent Tabla player with a unique sense of blended playing for compositions in both - Hindustani and Carnatic.
1. Promising Artist Award from the International Foundation for Fine Arts, Bombay, 2014, at the hands of the legendary Ustad Zakir Hussain.
2. Secured All India Second Rank in Tabla Competition conducted by All India Radio, 2014
3. Bronze Medal at the 17th National Youth Festival, 2012, conducted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India.
4. Kishora Prathibhe Award was conferred by the Kannada and Culture Department, Government of Karnataka, 2007.
5. Ustaad Inam Ali Puraskar, Shrimati Susheela Bai Kogje Puraskar, Shrimati Sharadha Bai Nathu Puraskar, Shri Gurudevji Patwardhan Puraskar.
6. Hari Om Trust Vaadya Pratham Puraskar by Akhila Bharathiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal for securing first rank in Sangeet Alankar among all categories, including Tabla.
He has performed on various prestigious stages like Akashvani Sangeet Sammelan at Pune, Sangeet Research academy at Mumbai, Mylapore Fine Arts Festival at Chennai, Percussive Arts Centre at Bengaluru, Mysuru Dasara Festival, Vishwasahitya Sammelan at Belagavi etc.,
He has accompanied various eminent artists like Kaushiki Chakraborty (Shankar Mahadevan Academy’s annual Festival Sangam, 2019), Hariharan (Sangam in 2018), Shankar Mahadevan, Bombay Sisters, Vid. Sriram Parashuram, Pt. Parameshwar Hegde, Pt. Nagaraj Rao Havaldar, Pt. Raghavendra Gudi, et al.
Karthik has also excelled in the field of cinema and light music, accompanying renowned artists like P. B. Srinivas, Rathnamala Prakash, Manjula Gururaj, M.D. Pallavi, Shankar Shanbhag, Sangeeta Katti, Archana Udupa, Anuradha Sriram, Adnan Sami, Anuradha Bhat and many luminaries.
He has worked with Kathak artists like Pt. Birju Maharaj, Pt. Rajendra Gangani, Murari Sharan Gupta, Simran Godhwani, Neeta Trivedi, et al.
He has also performed in several channels of Doordarshan and has been a part of various music albums.
His versatility in playing for varied genres like classical, semi-classical, contemporary and film music has earned him frequent accolades.